Saturday, September 13, 2008

Today's Back Update

Things have gotten better every day. I have not had any pain going down my legs for the last three days. The clinical/physical check the doctors did on me have been improving as well. At first they could only lift my leg to about 30 degrees after being at home and on ice regularly. Then when I was in the hospital (not on any ice at first) they could only lift my leg 20 degrees. The day I came home from the hospital after being on ice for three days and on a steroid to reduce inflammation, they can lift one of my legs 45 degrees and the other a little bit more. Still with no pain shooting down my legs. I have all the normal feeling and reactions in my legs and feet as they would expect.

I was able to walk the 14 steps to the toilet yesterday & today I took a shower as well, only feeling a little dizzy and unsure of myself (having been laying down on my back for over a week)… without pain getting past the #4 level (only while sitting down)! Yes I am still on pain meds, but in the hospital on more pain meds I had pain up to #7 while in bed. I have also been able to get into an inversion table yesterday and today. This allows for the physical space between the vertebrae to open up and allow for the disks to get back in place. This is a slow process and will take some time, but it sure seems like it is working very well.

Down here I feel the doctor is way too trigger happy to jump into surgery. His plan was to go in and scoop out all the nucleus of both disks! No way! At that point we decided that if it came to surgery we would absolutely come back to California. The very well respected surgeon who performed the surgery on me the first time after reviewing the current MRI’s recommended we wait. Our plan is still to give this one more week of natural therapy then reassess. If we need to come back up to California, Shelley’s uncle has offered to drive their motor home down the Baja and take me back up there. I’m sure that will be the best ride over the Baja that anyone could hope for.

Keep seeking the Lord on my behalf, and please don’t forget to pray even more for Shelley. Even though my mom is here helping way beyond the call of duty, it is still VERY hard for Shelley.

No comments: